Sister property to Elephant Hills Tented camp, Khao Sok, Southern Thailand. The Bush Camp will have a soft opening early Autumn 2022 and should be fully operational by year-end. Both camps offer a wonderful experience, completely ethical and chain-free.
The Chiang Mai Camp is a 2-hour drive southwest of the town & airport. It is located alongside the Mae Ping river with a rolling hills forest backdrop. There are just 10 “Glamping“ tents, each with an en-suite shower and balcony patio. The tents are spacious and can accommodate two extra beds for children (note Children under 4 years are not accepted at the camp).
The arrangements include join-in transfers to and from the camp, activities as detailed in the example itinerary as below, and all meals. There is an infinity swimming pool. In the early stages, the tour will be 2 days (1 night) but there may be options for this during 2023.
1st Days Activities: The Amazing Bush Camp Elephant Experience.
- Transfer from the airport or hotels in Chiang Mai to The Bush Camp. (Transfer times are approximately 2 hrs.)
- Arrive in the late morning before enjoying a delicious Thai lunch. After lunch check in and prepare for the day’s activities.
- Today’s activities are set around The Bush Camp’s Elephant and Mahout Experience:
- Visit our “Free-roaming chain free” elephant park. Feed and interact with Asia’s largest land animal. A truly once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience Thailand’s majestic giants in their natural home.
- Spend time in the Elephant Café as elephants roam peacefully in front of you.
- Explore the life of the mahouts by seeing how they live together with nature and their elephants. Experience the traditions of the mahout by watching their families pound rice, weave their own hand-made clothes and go about their daily life. Sample some of their cooking and help them make paper from elephant dung!
- Enjoy a sundowner on one of the many mountain-top viewpoints which overlook the majestic Ping River, the lifeblood of northern Thailand. Experience barbequed delicacies and a drink or two while watching the northern-Thai sun set behind the mountains.
- After watching the sunset and having time to freshen up, you will return to enjoy a buffet dinner of freshly prepared Thai and Western dishes whilst overlooking beautiful mountain vistas.
2nd Days Activities: The morning rituals of our mahouts and Elephants.
- Enjoy a fresh buffet breakfast at your leisure.
- Arrive at our “Free Roaming Forest” and sample “Kafee Boran” and “kanom krok” a traditional coffee and breakfast snack enjoyed by our mahouts and observe how our elephants are cared for. Watch the elephants enjoy their morning wash and learn more about how we work with elephants here at The Bush Camp. Understand more about good animal husbandry techniques and how we administer veterinary care for the benefit of our pachyderms.
- After a full morning of activities, return to your tent to check out before enjoying one final lunch overlooking the mountains and Ping River before returning to hotels / Airport in Chiang Mai.
We would suggest this tour in combination with at least 3 nights in Chiang Mai, probably before travelling to the camp. This region combines wildlife, wonderful scenery and a proud authentic lifestyle. Although Chiang Mai is the 2nd city of Thailand after Bangkok, the style is very different. Much slower-paced and rather charming.
We suggest you take easy to wear loose clothing, non-slip shoes or trainers, and swimwear for the pool. Please pack your passport as this will need to be shown on arrival. Your main luggage can be stored in a secure area away from camp.
The Bush Camp by Elephant Hills, Chiang Mai
display-posts taxonomy=category tax_term=current taxonomy_2=category tax_2_term=tours-activities tax_relation=AND
More hotels in this location
Chiang Mai is the 2nd city of Thailand but is just a fraction of the size of Bangkok. It is compact, bustling and despite some recent development, it retains a market town atmosphere. It is the main gateway to the region. Flying time from Bangkok 60 minutes. Chiang Rai is in the extreme northeast of the country, even smaller and more traditional, with the focal point of interest being the Golden Triangle, the area where Thailand, Laos and Burma (Myanmar) all meet.
We are Travel Specialists in the Following Locations:
“There’s no such thing as the best hotel, just the right one…”
Click for Booking Terms, Price Guides & Flight Information
Supplements will probably apply at other times, particularly mid-summer in the Med, and for rooms and/or transfers arranged for single travellers.
For example, the Caribbean and Indian Ocean prices for winter can be approximately double the May – June level and about 50% more in Asia.
Please refer to Travel Advice on our home page or look at www.fco.gov.uk as the Foreign Office may have issued specific destination information on safety and terrorism.
Due to the ongoing situation with COVID-19, some hotels may have changed their facilities. Standard descriptions like distance from airport or town remain consistent as does the overall resort style. However, the number of restaurants, swimming pools, if more than one, are by example flexible and can change depending on occupancy and circumstances. Spa facilities, in particular, may be changed depending on local and international suggestions.
If your holiday decision is based on any specific facility please let us know at the time of booking so we can ascertain availability from the hotel. Please note, such information may be accurate at the time given but could be subject to change. In these times it would be prudent to be open-minded and flexible on such matters.
The situation on destination entry seems to vary month to month, or in some cases week to week or even day-to-day. For updated information please refer to the UK Government travel advice https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice. This will provide you with information on entry requirements including COVID-19 testing and any quarantine stipulations, especially on return to the UK. As you will know this information is constantly changing, frequently at short notice as evidenced by our own Government actions.