The Datai is exclusive, both in its style and location, with over a mile of soft sand beach and tropical forest on three sides.
Description & Location
The luxurious & award winning Datai Langkawi is one of the most popular hotels in the region. The setting is spectacular, elevated with dense jungle on three sides, leading down to over a mile of soft sand beach front.
The airport is 40 minutes scenic drive away across the island from the flatter rural south to the more mountainous and even quieter north coast, passing through small authentic villages.
Description & Location
The Datai Langkawi has 121 Deluxe and Premium Rooms, Villas and Suites
They are located in the main building. Within the jungle, there are the Exclusive Rainforest Villas, with an incredible 5 Bedroom Datai Estate Villa. At beachfront, there are a selection of Sumptuous One and Two Bedroom Villas.
The Datai Canopy Experience (Main Building)
The main building is at the top of the hillside location with mainly sea-facing rooms, albeit from a considerable distance, and looks out beyond to the islands of Southern Thailand. The Deluxe Rooms are all actually junior suite-style, extremely spacious (63 sqm) with an integrated living area. The Premium Deluxe Rooms are on the top floor with even more impressive views over the top of the forest below.
Also within the main building, you have a selection of One Bedroom Suites, usually located on the corner of each floor. There is also a Two Bedroom Datai Suite.
The Datai Jungle Experience
The Rainforest Jungle Villas are free-standing and are in a romantic jungle setting with pathway links to the main facilities. Like the main building rooms, they are equally spacious with large veranda terrace (total of 123sqm in and out space). Some of the villas have their own pool (175sqm of the total in and out living space). As the name implies, the villas are set within the forest. Wonderfully romantic but, of course, you do need to be comfortable with the realities of living next to, or beneath, nature.
New for 2019 is a very impressive Datai Estate Villa with 5 bedrooms and private pool – ask us for details.
The Datai Beach Experience
The Datai also has 14 One & Two Bedroom Totally Luxurious Beachfront Villas, each with their own walled garden, indoor and outdoor living space and private lap pool. Without a doubt some of the most impressive accommodation we have seen in the region. Expensive, but that just seems to add to their attraction. The One Bedroom offer 350sqm of total living space, 750sqm in the two bedrooms.
Facilities and Activities
- A choice of restaurant & cuisine style in differing locations, either close to the main facilities or at beach level plus lobby level lounge bar. See notes in Chic Check
- Two swimming pools – with the main pool elevated and for adults only – and the other at beach level with a small section reserved for toddlers.
- Jungle Spa and Gym
- Championship Ernie Els designed golf course, award-winning and regarded as one of the best in Asia. Additional restaurant plus a tennis court. A shuttle operates on demand for the 8-minute transfer
- Innovative cooking classes, either on a small group or one to one basis
- A selection of non-motorised water sports can be arranged, subject to weather conditions
- The resort takes full advantage of the dramatic setting, and a series of eco-adventure escorted nature treks can be arranged, particularly interesting at night
- Also available, mainly in the peak winter months ( December to April ) will be the opportunity to sail along the north coast of Langkawi on the Malaysian Junk schooner, The Naga Pelangi
- A longhouse styled Nature Centre which includes a library on local plants & wildlife, regular presentations and then the opportunity for escorted treks through the forest. These can be tailored to different age groups and trekking capabilities.
The Datai had been closed for complete renovation and enhancement from September 2017 and reopened in December 2018.
After an extensive and expensive total enhancement, the hotel re-opened in December 2018. The immediate reaction, especially from returning guests, is WOW! First time visitors seem to spend their first hour posting pictures on social media.
David from Chic visited the hotel just prior to (re)opening and will be delighted to discuss further. He actually attended the original opening of the hotel over 25 years ago, has stayed or visited numerous times since and continues to rave about the total style and setting.
The design plan for the “New” Datai is amazing! It takes the property to a completely new level of luxury without detracting from the incredible setting. The restaurant choices, in particular, are superb. Not just in the culinary options but also the varied locations. Since its original opening 25 years ago The Datai has been one of the top hotels in the region and with the recent extensive enhancements, this will no doubt continue for another 25 years at least!
Please contact us for details.
Nightly price from £318 per person
The Datai Langkawi, Malaysia
More Peninsular Malaysia Beach Resorts
All price guides are Per Person Sharing Double Room (Entry level), based on travel between May and/or June when prices are generally at their lowest and include promotional offers.
Supplements will probably apply at other times, particularly mid-summer in the Med, and for rooms and/or transfers arranged for single travellers.
For example Caribbean and Indian Ocean prices for winter can be approximately double the May - June level and about 50% more in Asia.
Please refer to Travel Advice on our home page or look at www.fco.gov.uk as the Foreign Office may have issued specific destination information on safety and terrorism.
All of the holidays arranged by Chic Locations are fully bonded for your financial protection, with our ABTA bond securing accommodation/land only holidays, and our ATOL licence (number 6389) protecting air inclusive holidays.
Contact a Friendly Chic Travel Specialist Today!
Call +44 (0)208 944 1973